For 10 years now, the Congregation of the Legionaries of Christ has been walking on a path of renewal, and in the area for attention to victims and the establishment of safe environments, it has publicly committed to be held accountable for its commitments every year.
In 2019, the Congregation published a historical statistics report on all abuse cases since its foundation. In 2021, it published the 2020 Annual Report Truth, Justice, and Healing, addressed above all to victims.
2020 Annual Report Truth, Justice and Healing
The Annual Report renders an account of the commitments made by the 2020 General Chapter and the current director general, Father John Connor. Addressed primarily to victims, it presents the Congregation’s partnership with Eshmá, an independent professional institution specialized in the care for victims of sexual abuse, abuse of power and abuse of conscience in the Catholic Church.
The Report also explains the reasons why the Legionaries published by name or with a numerical code each case of priests of the Congregation who committed abuse of minors.
The 1941-2019 Report published by the Legionaries of Christ was the result of a thorough study carried out between June and December 2019 of the cases of sexual abuse of minors throughout the history of the Congregation.
The objectives of this report were:
1) A historical diagnosis that would allow the Congregation to confront pending cases
2) Facilitate attention to abuse victims
3) Ensure compliance with civil and ecclesiastical laws
4) Ensure the fulfillment of restrictions put on members of the Congregation who have committed abuse of a minor.
5) Identify any necessary improvement in the Safe Environment Policy so as to assure compliance with the highest international standards
Independent victim support channel (Eshmá)